Job Title: Assistant Librarian for Access and Outreach Services
Reports To: Director of the Library
Status: Full time, Exempt
Mount Saint Mary College seeks an innovative, dynamic, and self-motivated individual to join a collaborative and collegial team of library faculty and support staff committed to the continuous improvement of library resources and services. Leads a staff of three in the delivery of front-line library services: circulation, interlibrary loan, course reserves, stacks maintenance and student staff management.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Sets policy for, implements innovations in, and assesses the quality and effectiveness of all access services areas.
- Mediates circulation issues with library users.
- Develops the library schedule throughout the year.
- Responsible for library’s overall website and social media efforts, as well as its digital signage and room reservation systems. Promotes and publicizes library resources, services, and events through the library web page, social media, digital signage, email and print. Creates marketing materials independently and in conjunction with the MSMC Marketing Department.
- Collaborates with faculty and staff across campus and within the library to plan and carry out diverse events, exhibits and displays relevant to MSMC academic programs.
- Collaborates with Residence Life on educational and cultural programming. Serves as primary library contact for Admissions Office for open houses, library tours, and student/parent orientations. Serves as primary liaison for St. John’s Bible programming.
- Participates in reference, bibliographic instruction, collection development and liaison activities in assigned subject areas.
- Pursues an ongoing program of professional development and scholarship.
- Serve on library and campus committees.
- Other duties as assigned by library director.
- Master’s degree in library/information science from ALA-accredited program.
- Knowledge of access services functions.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency with creating marketing materials.
- Experience in creating or maintaining website content.
- Experience teaching information literacy skills and familiarity with the ACRL information literacy framework. Ability to deliver instruction via multiple modes: face-to-face, online (synchronous or asynchronous), online tutorials, etc.
- Strong service orientation and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with emerging technologies and trends in higher education.
- Strong technology skills and the ability to adapt to changing technological environments.
- Knowledge of collection development tools, techniques and strategies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with library faculty and support staff, as well as the greater campus community, and to show initiative in fulfilling responsibilities.
- Effective organizational and project management skills.
- Flexibility in covering information desk and instruction schedules.