Come join the friendliest library in Rockland County!
Valley Cottage Library, located in a nearby suburb of NYC, is a renowned community resource serving the 23,000 residents of the Nyack School District. We are seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and forward-thinking individual to join our vibrant Children’s Services Department.
The ideal candidate will be a community-focused individual with a passion for public service, knowledge of children’s literature, and a love for promoting reading and learning to children of all ages.
This is a full-time position (35 hours per week) reporting to the Head of Children’s Services.
· MLIS (or equivalent) from an ALA accredited program.
· Ability to obtain a NYS Public Librarian Certificate.
· Ability to work with diverse people of all ages, including staff, volunteers, and the public.
· Ability to apply, enhance and promote new technology services of the department and the library. Candidate must adapt readily to changing software, programs, and processes.
· Mastery of Microsoft Office programs and all digital platforms relevant to library service.
· Spanish-fluent applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
· Collection development within defined collections of children’s material in multiple formats, including selection, maintenance, and promotion of collections through visually appealing displays.
· Designing and implementing creative children’s programming, including story times, STEAM programs, book discussions, and other activities.
· Assisting with creation and implementation of a summer reading program using the NYS Summer Reading Program theme.
· Collaborating with local schools and community organizations and building partnerships to expand the reach of Library services throughout our chartered service area.
· Providing reference assistance and reader’s advisory to patrons of all ages.
· The ability to think differently and find opportunities for fun in the library.
· The ability to innovate and execute new ideas for library service to children birth through grade 5 and their families.
· Attend continuing education programs and workshops suitable to professional growth.
The Children’s Services Librarian is expected to work one evening per week and one Saturday per month. Salary range is $56,000 – $61,000 commensurate with experience. A generous
benefits package includes medical, vision and dental insurance, flexible spending account, paid vacation and sick leave, and participation in a 403B matching plan. A job description for this position can be found at: www.valleycottagelibrary.org/jobs-at-vcl
If you possess a passion to work in a team-based and customer-focused environment that strives to provide excellent services to the community apply now!
A completed employment application is required and can be obtained at www.valleycottagelibrary.org/jobs-at-vcl. Please email the completed application, a resume and cover letter highlighting your experience to the attention of Ashley Maraffino, Assistant Director at email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted until January 11, 2024.
Valley Cottage Library is an equal opportunity employer.