The Howland Public Library in Beacon, N.Y., is looking for a few part-time circulation clerks. We are looking for people who enjoy working in customer service and learning new technology.
Clerks are the front-line staff of the library and perform a variety of tasks including:
· Checking library materials in and out, placing holds, and explaining lending rules when needed
· Creating and updating patron records
· Assisting patrons on the telephone and routing calls properly
· Performing shelving, hold retrieval, shelf reading, and general stack maintenance
· Assisting patrons with copiers, faxes, computers, and the self-print kiosk
· Helping with patron questions, particularly using the catalog and locating books in the library
· Calculating and collecting fees, making change, and issuing receipts
· May assist in sorting, inspecting, or processing materials
· Participating in continuing education as assigned
· Does related work as required
Flexibility is a plus. The possibility of adding more hours when shift coverage is needed or during special events is available. Limited evening hours are available. The ability to work on weekends, especially Saturdays, is required.
We are currently seeking coverage for the following hours in configurations that work for successful candidates. Those hired can work up to 20 hours per week.
Example of hours needing to be filled:
· Monday: 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
· Tuesday: 4:00 to 8:00 p.m.
· Wednesday: 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
· Friday: 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
· Saturday: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Salary and Benefits: The position pays $15.20 per hour. All employees receive holiday pay, bereavement, and access to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP). Benefits for those who work 12 or more hours per
week also include paid vacation and sick leave. Howland Public Library participates in the New York State and Local Retirement System.
Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma. NOTE: Clerical work experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis in lieu of a high school diploma up to a maximum of two years.
How to Apply:
Those interested in applying should send a brief cover letter, resume, and contact information for two (2) references to Kristin Charles-Scaringi, assistant director, at email@example.com. Please put HPL Application – Clerk in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed as they come in.