The Brewster Library in Brewster, NY is seeking an energetic and creative Full-Time Youth Services Librarian to oversee the library’s Children’s and Young Adult collections and programs, and to help coordinate the library’s adult programs. The Youth Services Librarian, who reports to the Director of the Library, will also assist with circulation and reference duties, and community outreach.
· Maintain and develop the Children’s and Young Adult collections
· Work with programming staff to plan, promote, and implement programs for patrons of all ages
· Work the circulation desk and field reference questions
· Assist patrons with computer questions
· Create press releases and other promotional materials
· Help to maintain the library’s social media presence
· Recruit, train, and work with youth-oriented volunteers
· Work with local schools to introduce young people to the library
· Identify opportunities to secure grants for programs
· Maintain statistics and develop reports
· Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited college or university program*
· Eligibility for a New York State public librarian’s professional certificate at time of application (or upon graduation)
· At least two years of experience working with children and/or young adults in recreational, youth, park service, cultural or educational enrichment activities
· Knowledge of Children’s and Young Adult literature
· Fluency in the Spanish language preferred
A successful candidate for this position must have excellent customer service skills and be able to work with people of all ages and temperaments, especially with children and young adults, be comfortable with computer and A/V technology and savvy with social media, and enjoy working as part of a team. A strong initiative and flexibility are essential. This is a competitive Civil Service position, and may be a provisional appointment or a transfer. Salary starting at $50,000, commensurate with experience. Generous benefits including paid holidays, vacation/sick leave, health/dental insurance, and NYS retirement program.
*Will consider a candidate currently pursuing an MLS degree as a Librarian Trainee.
About the Brewster Public Library:
The Brewster Library is situated in the Village of Brewster within the Town of Southeast, and serves a diverse population of about 18,000. We have recently undergone an expansion/renovation project, which included the addition of a beautiful new Community/Program Room. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable, and the community is supportive of the library. If you would like to join our team,
please send a resume and letter explaining why you think you would be a good fit for this position to Gina Loprinzo, Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Brewster Public Library is an equal opportunity employer