JOB DESCRIPTION: Full-time vacancy available for an energetic, team-oriented Librarian with a strong public service commitment. Provide library service and programming for and with young adults and those who work with young adults. Constant contact and collaboration with young adults (ages 11-18) including those with diverse backgrounds and abilities.
● Conducts regular community needs assessments to identify teen needs, in order to create tailored services and programs to address identified needs.
● Provides prompt, courteous and direct assistance to all patrons with basic information regarding use of library materials, equipment, and services.
● Ensures the library’s collections include relevant print and digital resources aimed at the specific interests and needs of the teens in the community.
● Curates content, including digital resources and special collections, for and with teen patrons, based on teen needs and interests.
● Adopts a connected learning approach to presenting programs, classes and events for and with teens so that they educate, inform and inspire.
● Plans, implements and evaluates library programs and services which fulfill the diverse educational, recreational and personal needs of local teens.
● Instructs teens and caregivers in information gathering, research skills and digital literacy skills.
● Leverages community experts, coaches and mentors for services and programs in order to meet teen need and interests
● Adopts a community engagement mindset and develops and maintains effective relationships with schools, community groups, agencies and non-profits that target youth in order to plan and deliver programs and services that meet local teen needs and interests.
● As opportunities arise, educate the public about the value of public libraries and the profession. Creatively promote library services and the profession.
● Coordinates daily activities of staff and volunteers assigned to teen services.
● Takes a leadership role in developing, implementing and evaluating the overall teen services program.
● Attends and participates in professional library conferences, seminars, and network committees; reads professional literature; attends and participates in staff meeting discussions.
● Other duties as assigned.
● MIS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited program required.
● One or more years of professional experience in a library setting preferred.
● Experience in working for and with young adults (ages 11 to 18).
● Knowledge of developmental, recreational and educational needs of young adults.
● Knowledge of current trends in library services for and with young adults.
● Knowledge of standard library procedures, current information technology, Internet and database search capabilities.
● Knowledge of connected learning and ability to design programs that embed connected learning principles.
● Knowledge of best practices in teen services, including guidelines and standards published by ALA, YALSA and other recognized organizations.
● Knowledge of best practices in community assessment and engagement.
● Knowledge of effective practices in evaluation and outcomes measurement.
● Cultural competence skills.
● Ability to communicate effectively with others, orally and in writing, including through email.
● Ability to identify and translate young adult needs and interests into effective library services and programs.
● Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, patrons, user groups, community organizations, volunteer groups and to serve the public courteously.
● Able to recognize and set priorities, and to use initiative and independent judgment in a variety of situations.
● Able to learn and stay current with emerging technology, including digital media.
The position requires one weeknight per week and one Saturday per month.
Starting salary $61,725.54, depending upon qualifications. Membership in NYS Retirement system. Health, vision, and dental insurance coverage, paid holidays, and generous PTO included, as well as optional employee-funded membership in Aflac, 403B, and NYS Deferred Comp plans.
Interested parties should send an email with qualifications/resume to: email@example.com. No phone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.