The Library Director oversees all aspects of library programs and services. The director supervises all library employees, administers both short-term and long-term library operations, and fosters partnerships with outside organizations in providing services to the residents of Pawling. The director has principal responsibility for library finances, information systems and technology, buildings and grounds, human resources, collection development, public relations, community outreach, and customer service. The Library Director prioritizes and manages many projects simultaneously. He or she must foster strong working relationships with the library’s Board of Trustees, staff members, patrons, and other stakeholders.
This job requires attention to detail, ability to work independently and with others, and multi-tasking. Most importantly, the coordinator should possess excellent communication skills and the ability to connect to community members.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
• Recruits, selects, and trains library staff.
• Supervises and schedules library staff.
• Oversees the development and provision of library programs and events.
• Prepares budget with trustees and supervises library expenditures.
• Maintains direct primary responsibility for resolving all accounts payable and receivable.
• Administers the policies established by the Board of Trustees.
• Reviews, abides by, and enforces all library policies.
• Makes recommendations for policy changes to Board of Trustees.
• Reports monthly to the Board of Trustees.
• Acts as a liaison between the library and outside organizations.
• Stays abreast of developments in the library field, especially as pertains to the Mid-Hudson Library System.
• Seeks alternative funding for the organization (i.e. grants and sponsorship).
• Oversees marketing and public relations, including library website and social media
• Oversees the buildings and grounds.
• Oversees collection development and collection maintenance.
• Administers and maintains library technology.
• Provides reference, readers advisory and circulation services when needed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES)
• Masters degree in Library Science required.
• Relevant experience required.
• Immediate or forthcoming eligibility for or possession of a New York State Public Librarian certification.
• Previous management experience.
• Supervisory experience.
• Working knowledge of library finances and budgets.
• High proficiency with library computer technology and electronic resources.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Interest in information needs of local residents.
• Ability to provide reference service and/or guide patrons toward materials in print and electronic resources.
• Ability to work cooperatively with others.
Occasional evenings and weekends are required as is occasional circulation desk coverage.
Position: Full-time: 37 hours per week
Pay: $58,000 – $68,000, depending on experience and qualifications
Benefits: Paid time off available on a rolling basis. Health and dental insurance available after three months.
Instructions to Applicants: Interested individuals should apply online. Visit pawlingfreelibrary.org/jobs to apply. Interested candidates should apply on our website by Monday August 22nd.