Located in the heart of the Ramapo Mountains of Northern New Jersey, Ringwood is a thriving suburban community just 30 minutes from NYC. Anchored by its lake communities, Ringwood has roots in the Colonial Era and is home the NJ Botanical Gardens and Ringwood Manor State Park; this town of 12,000 is where history and nature meet.
Ringwood Public Library is the bustling center of its community and as such seeks an engaged, motivated, and visionary leader to serve as Library Director. Serving approximately 6,000 active cardholders and hosting multiple community groups and events, the Ringwood Public Library is a destination location for residents and visitors. The library is a member of the PALSplus Library Consortium, sharing ILS services and digital collections with 22 libraries across three counties. The consortium is a welcoming and supportive professional community. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with 3 full-time professional staff, 11 part-time employees, a dedicated Friends group, and a recently established Foundation. Governed by a nine-member Board of Trustees, the Ringwood Public Library is an independent 501c3 nonprofit organization entirely funded by the Borough of Ringwood. The successful candidate will work closely with the Borough Administrator and staff on matters related to the library building and grounds, budget, and community events.
A demonstrated record of strong leadership skills, a commitment to public librarianship, and active community engagement will define the successful candidate. The ability to lead the Board and community in mapping a new strategic direction for the library that envisions new and/or expanded services, outreach, and public programs is vital. The ideal candidate will be able to clearly communicate the library’s mission to diverse stakeholders and develop collaborative relationships throughout the community. The library has an annual budget of $643,000; proven experience in budgeting and fiscal management is essential. This position requires a strong commitment to customer service and community relations. The ideal candidate will build on traditional library services while imagining and implementing tomorrow’s best practices.
- Maintain a safe, welcoming, community focused public library; assure unfettered access to accurate, timely, and useful information.
- Lead by example in providing excellent customer service; respect and encourage diverse ideas and perspectives.
- Develop and oversee the annual budget in collaboration with Board Finance Committee. Demonstrate sound fiscal judgement and good business sense.
- Supervise library staff while developing their potential and encouraging their talents.
- Lead the library in long-range planning, service delivery, civic engagement and public relations.
- Facilitate and maintain a productive working relationship with the Library Board of Trustees, the Friends of the Library, and the Borough of Ringwood staff.
- Work collaboratively with library staff to develop a range of diverse programs, activities, events designed to educate, enrich, or entertain the community.
- Work with the Library Board to develop policies that meet operational needs. Keep the Board informed of emerging trends in public library service.
- Actively participate in the PALSplus Consortium. Membership in NJLA and engaging in annual continuing education activities is expected.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited College or University.
- Possess or able to obtain New Jersey Professional Librarian Certification within a month of hire date.
- Ten years of public library experience including five years in library management and direct supervision of others.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
Applicants are invited to email, in PDF, a meaningful cover letter, outlining their philosophy of public librarianship and a detailed resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org No faxed, mailed, or hand delivered applications will be considered. Review of applications will commence on September 12 and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary starts at $90,624 and is commensurate experience; comprehensive health insurance benefits; 403B retirement plan with generous employer match; paid vacation, sick, personal time and 14 paid holidays. NJLA membership included.
Library Association of Ringwood is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.