Public Information Specialist (Full-time)
The Finkelstein Memorial Library at 24 Chestnut Street, Spring Valley, NY seeks a full time Public
Information Specialist. Our busy Library serves over 100,000 diverse patrons in an urban setting in the
middle of suburbia. This position will work collaboratively across departments to successfully promote
Library programs, services and collections to the community. This is a Union position, 35 hours/week,
which includes working a weekly night and 1 Saturday per month. Position reports to Assistant Director.
- Conducts public relations for the Library, involving responsibility for writing, editing and creating
informational materials for public dissemination using various computer/software/graphic design
- Prepares and edits press releases, pamphlets, newsletters, information articles, photographs, social
media content, email blasts and digital media.
- Manages all social media activity and accounts, while seeking opportunities to expand audience.
- Provides work guidance to other employees involved with marketing, including editing for factual
consistency, style, format, grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc.
- Networks, collaborates and maintains positive relationships with community members and
organizations, in person and digitally.
- Identifies press opportunities to promote the Library and its mission.
- Assists to develop and implement the selected public relations or marketing strategy, and works with
Administration to identify future opportunities for brand enhancement.
- Works closely with Administration regarding release of content, timing and media.
- Conducts related work as required or assigned, including coordination of adult outreach programs
and opportunities and liaison to the Friends of the Library.
Knowledge & Skills
- Self-starter with working knowledge of effective public relations and publicity techniques to engage
the community and promote the Library to a wider audience.
- Ability to manage social media platforms.
- Enjoys working with diverse service population, staff, community members and organizations.
- Possesses knowledge of and ability to explain library programs and services to patrons in a clear and
- Ability to use various computer /software/graphic design programs, ex. Canva.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent editing abilities; accuracy and attention to detail are priorities.
- 1. A Bachelor’s degree or higher in Communications, English, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations,
or a closely related field and one (1) year of public relations, newspaper or other publication
experience which regularly involved writing or editing; OR 2. An Associate’s degree or higher that
included or was supplemented by a minimum of fifteen (15) credit hours in Communications, English,
Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations or a closely related field and three (3) years of public
relations, newspaper or other publication experience, which regularly involved writing or editing.
- Previous library experience preferred.
- Salary starts at $60,000. The Library offers paid time off, a competitive benefits package and participation in the NYS Retirement System. See Rockland County civil service job description for Public Information Specialist . Appointment is provisional pending placing on the civil service list. Position will remain open until filled. To apply: please email your resume and cover letter to Assistant Director Beth Zambito at email@example.com with the subject “Public Information Specialist application.