Summary of job responsibilities
The Finkelstein Memorial Library in Spring Valley, NY seeks a full time Librarian I, specializing in Early
Literacy for our Youth Services Department. Join a staff of 25 in our busy department, which proudly
contributes to the Library’s overall service to over 100,000 diverse patrons in an urban setting in the
middle of suburbia. This is a Union position, 35 hours/week, which includes working a weekly night and
1 Saturday per month. Position reports to the Head of Youth Services.
● Perform reference and readers’ advisory services for families and youth of all ages with desk duty
in the Children’s Room and Teen Room.
● Plan, prepare, and conduct programs and services for youth ages 0-18 (with a focus on children
● Oversee purchasing and maintenance of picture book, easy reader and young reader collections.
● Create bulletin board displays and book displays.
● Collaborate and build relationships with local preschools and elementary schools.
● Attend local, regional, and/or state conferences, meetings, and workshops in order to stay current
with best practices in youth and teen services.
● Supervise part-time staff as needed during night and weekend shifts.
Knowledge & Skills
● Enjoys working with youth of all ages (0-18), with an emphasis on ages 0-5.
● Familiarity with and love of picture books.
● Proficiency with current technology, devices, and social media.
● Knowledge of Google Drive is preferred.
● Bilingual (Spanish) skills are strongly desired.
● Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program.
● NYS Public Library Certificate.
Salary starts at $69,394 commensurate with training, skills and experience. The Library offers paid time
off, a competitive benefits package and participation in the NYS Retirement System. See Rockland County
civil service job description for Librarian I. Appointment is provisional pending placing on the civil
service list. Position will remain open until filled, with preference given to applications received before
11/7/23. To apply: please email your resume and cover letter to Assistant Director Beth Zambito
(firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject “Youth Services Librarian I application.